Intercultural Communication

Looking back on my memories in the past surrounding the existence of co-culture, there was this event wherein I had the opportunity to ask my professor why there are different religions in the world and what prompts people to believe in these things differently. I can remember my teacher telling me that these are apparent because of the different beliefs and ideals people have concerning their faith. Here, she attributes the perspective to the differences in culture and corresponding principles that exist among these religionsphilosophies.

Analyzing what I felt before, I can say that I was curious about what prompts people to have different religions wherein the fact of the matter here is that they almost believe the same idea  the presence of a higher being or entity. In essence, I can say that it gave the motivation to seek further answers and understand the relationships that prompts people to establish and foster greater inputs towards this principle.

As I was growing up and started studying, it was in here that I came to encounter to people with different religious background. Through the process of inquiry, I came to realize that such diversity existed because of varying principles and cultural attributes present in each one. These then become an important component that catered towards my ability to appreciate and understand their ideas and respected them accordingly.

On the other hand, for my family, I can say that their attitude towards other religion remain traditional. This means that they pay no considerable attention to them other than providing symbols and labels accordingly. For my part, I do feel offended sometimes to hear derogatory comments on how they perceive such realities. Though it was not intended to do harm, having little understanding about these things are often the result of tension and clashes that has then limited the ability to create openness.

For my part, I too am guilty sometimes of labeling either negatively or positively. I feel that this is my reaction towards protecting my own ideals and principles surrounding my faith. However, succumbing to these situations would not lead towards anything fruitful. As I was growing up and had further opportunities to study culture and societies, I started to gain inputs on how perception can provide the ability to view the world through my lens. Seeing this, I started to understand why having a firm understanding of culture can lead towards effective competency and widening my lens over things.

Moreover, I feel that this experience with another student with a different religious belief would have been supplemented if I had read up ahead of time about their current principles and practices. However, since I was still young back then, the curiosity of asking sensitive questions without thinking about them became apparent. Due to this, I feel that I may have offended the person without even knowing it. Having limited amount of information about a particular belief or culture can sometimes create a misguided analysis of what they particularly adhere to.

In the end, having the capacity to understand early the principles on as to why there exist different religions offer new perspectives in understanding the diversity of cultures in different societies. It showcases divergence in the ability to share common principles and values that create a particular identity. By applying interpersonal communication, one can increase their ability to recognize and align similarities and differences surrounding the culture and correspond towards increasing the ability to transcend competence without having to clash and experience differences in ideals and perspectives.

0 comments:

Post a Comment