Parenting today

Being a parent in the current American society is not something to take lightly. The future of the society depends on the role played by parents in the live of their children. If it was a requirement that has to obtain a license in order to get a child, it would be better if the license carried the same seriousness, though and questioning with it just as other licenses do for example, marriage license. The world has experienced too many deaths of children out of parental negligence or abuse (Mohler, 2010). 

The requirement of one to obtain a license in order to have a child would have saved too many children as well as infants from dying due to abuse and neglect of cruel parents. Parents would become more respectful of their duties if they were to obtain a license to have a child. The license would put a number of minimum requirements for parenting, stand for the significance of parenting and emphasize the idea of childrens rights. Though parenting skills are natural, a license would elevate it to another level and increasing peoples awareness about things they could learn concerning parenting. Licensing acts as an authoritarian response to the problems arising due to abuse and neglect. If knowledge was to be increased, in addition to licensing, it would enhance positive parenting (Levine, 2009).

Conceptualization of parenting style usually occurs along two dimensions parental responsiveness and parental control. These two can be combined to develop four categories of parenting- authoritarian, authoritative, indulgent and indifferent. Authoritative parenting involves high levels of adjustments, self esteem, psychosocial maturity, and academic success. Parental indulgent is a very important feature of parenting which lead to academic excellence of a child. During my childhood I witnessed a circumstance that I will never forget in my life. My brother was a very antisocial as well as violent person. It has come to my realization that he had taken after my father who was also very harsh. My brother used to violently take everything he saw a child holding whether it was money, play equipment or books. When this behavior was reported to our father by a certain neighbor, he confronted my brother with so much hostility that was not fit for a child. This hostility went on from that time till my brother grew up. This behavior depicted my father as an authoritarian person who wanted things done his way (Paulson, and Sputa, 1996).

It is very important that parents take the first initiative in establishing associations with their children due to the fact that it is at this stage that childrens life is directed to a third party or the outside world. If I was faced with a similar problem today I would take it up on myself to establish a relationship with all my children. Rather than just providing my children with the basic as well as physical necessities, I would build a strong base for my relationship with my children. I would establish strong communication with my children in order to find out their emotional needs in addition to the basic needs. I would encourage my children to have positive relationship with their friends as this would help them grow in to social maturity. It would have been very good if my father talked to my brother in order to find a solution to his problem.

Dr Michele Borba is a parenting expert. Dr Borba just like other parenting experts realized that there is a gap that needs s to be filled because parent were getting answers to their questions, but these answers did not deliver long lasting results. The same way as other experts such as Dr. Spock, and Dr. Phil, Dr. Borba provides information that any parent may require for proper rearing of a child. Alyson is another parenting expert who provides parents with parenting principles and discipline methods in dealing with modern children.

0 comments:

Post a Comment