Non-Intrusive Breaching Experiment

Three days ago I conducted a non-intrusive breaching experiment about not talking to anyone for a day.  For twenty-four hours I tried to keep myself busy, so that I wont feel much of the pressure.  Instead, I focused more on my work and the chores that I may have to do were I to have all the time in the world.  It wasnt a very exciting day.

At first I astounded myself because I found myself talking to my sister but held back myself when I remembered I was not to talk to anyone for twenty-four hours.  Then I astounded my sister first and foremost because she was used to my chatting while sharing the room with her.  She was used to my telling stories and sharing everything that may have to do for the events of the day.  She was angry for my being cold and distant (those were the words that she said).  And then I astounded my friends at school.  They thought I was just dealing with one of my frenzy days, one of the days when I would rather be on my own, when I would rather talk to myself instead of my friends.  They thought it was nasty for me not to talk to them and share whatever I have been dealing with.  They were used to my sharing secrets and problems, especially my best friend, who was astounded on my strange behavior.  I prayed that the day would end when I can talk to my sister and friends again.

By evening I found myself depressed and downhearted for not talking to anyone for one whole day.  Instead of getting irritable however, I tried to listen to music and tried to reminisce about the good old days when I was in secondary level, with so many friends I had trouble remembering each and every one of them.  Indeed, norms keep people attached to one another.  It distinguishes the ordinary people from those who are strange and unusual.

0 comments:

Post a Comment