Cycle of Generations and Humor as a social bond

It was the year 1974 that I came into this earth, in the Cycle of Generation that William Strauss and Neil Howe (1991) predicted. I belong to the thirteenth generation that started 1961 to 1981. I remembered that time, when I was conscious in my surroundings I can say that it was not at all primitive. Modesty aside, we have a television that has remote control where I watched Simpson also Michael Jackson danced his Thriller, when I was 8 years old we have our own computer and I was addicted to PacMan.

In my Current Events class, I heard about the protests of students that happened because of war. Prevalent among them were that one that happened because of Vietnam War, which I cannot recollect much, and the Tiananmen Square that happened in China. Another is that during the 80s, when I was at home watching with my dad, we ran down the evening news about end of Cold War and collapse of Communism, which was all jargon and absurd for me that time, it was in high school that I absorbed those events.

These principal events among many were mere representation to the generation that I was born but cannot be responsible or accountable for what I am now, just like how Strauss and Howe (1991) determined early experiences as determinant factors. Describing my generation that belongs to a worldview that is blunt, even cynical realism (Howe  Strauss, 1991, p. 27) undermines the major events that not only happened in my generation but has influenced generations after generations. May be what I was trying to say is that peoples identity should not be contained in one generation or another because even though some of the major events had shaped the histories we can still adjust and adapt, most importantly grow and rebel against the structure of our generation.

Reference Howe, N. . Strauss, William (1991). American Demographics. Vol.13 (no.4), 24-52.
Thirty-six years now that I have been a son to my parents. My role as a son is due to an ascribed status given to me by my parents. My parents mold me into another individual that will carry their name in nobility. This is why I achieved to be among the high-ranking individuals, people seek for my appearance and signature, and I am one of those who represent the office to other companies. These two, I consider as a master status. The role that I obtained from my younger years emancipated the person I am now. I am a mixture of the characteristics and quality that I surpassed through the years from childbirth to early adulthood.

Through those years, I have experienced many life challenges. There was a point in time that I was almost near in giving up. It was the year when I was all bankrupt and penniless. On the contrary, nothing beats how I was able to cope up with my anxieties and frustrations through humor. Humor, according to the article that Yoels and Clair (n.d.) exemplified functions as a social bond, a character that deals with social inequality or that aspect that blurs social status and creates a sense of belongingness through integration (n.d, n.p.). It appears, though, from that situation that humor really functions as such. While I was preoccupied thinking of plans to beat these challenge, I never forgot to laugh and crack jokes to my co-employees and even to my superiors. It appears that my sense of humor paid off when I was awarded in one of our offices recognition days as Mr. Congeniality. All of them loved to hang out with me until it came to a point where they included me in business meetings where I was the speaker. Until then I found out that they were already observing me if I am fitted to the position that I have now. The wage that I am earning is actually more than enough the position that I was endorsed was what I wanted before. That humor, which I give gratitude to my father not only blurred impossibilities but, also imparted a dream.

0 comments:

Post a Comment