The Homeless Society of Downtown L.A.

It is truly a sad reality that despite of being one of the richest cities of the most powerful nation in the world, Los Angeles is still beset with the most disturbing problem of homelessness.  Here, the irony is emphatically evident, as the well-to-do sector that lives in posh high rise citadels co-exist side-by-side with those who find themselves in the inescapable grip of poverty deprived of the necessities that ought to be available for living a decent life, such as the security of a stable job, education, and a place one can proudly call his home.  Hence, during my experience of giving assistance to this particular community in whatever small amount that I am capable of, particularly in preparing healthy food for their nourishment, I have been blessed with knowing firsthand the harsh realities surrounding their everyday existence.

San Pedro Street in downtown LA is considered to be the ground zero of the debacle that is homelessness.  It is included in the infamous Skid Row area, where thousands of individuals, all homeless, are scattered throughout the 50-block vicinity.  The tragedy is such in a dire state that it is quite normal to see a person sleeping on concrete pavements with only plastered cardboards for beddings.  Looking at these people, it would certainly seem that they had their own reasons for being in this unfortunate situation.  It is indeed factual, based on my own interactions with them, that their reasons are of varying nature some of them opted to make the streets as their home to escape domestic violence, or divorce, or they have been forced out of their employments and are financially broke, some of the children here were born of this circumstance, and some are societal outcasts for being ex convicts or drug dependents.  Although all of the aforementioned cases are evident in this community, it is the staggering number of mentally-ill due to prolonged dependence on banned substances that most caught my attention and concern.

During my service to this community, where I participated in food distribution for the people of this neighborhood, my dealings with them were sources of immense inspiration and of social awakening.  In them and through them, I became aware of the real world that has long been existing outside of the comfort and security of my home.  By sharing their life experiences with me, I have learned of the fragility that economic security promises.  As such, it was for me very baffling to know that some of these people have once had a decent life of being a teacher, a constructions foremen, and even as collegiate athletic prospects.  Perhaps more important than my realization of being blessed with a good economic, filial, and academic background, it was in learning the value of striving against all odds that I will forever cherish as a treasured gift.

Sharing
With the opportunity given to me in being of assistance to one of the most wanting sectors of our society, I can confidently declare that it has transformed me into being socially aware on the realities of the world.  For one, it has opened my eyes on the true consequences of being addicted to illegal substances, as I have personally witnessed on some of the people, a frightening state of being semi-present or semi-alive on their very persona.  Another is the realization that this sector, irrelevant of their importance on the structural make-up of the American society, must be awarded of their intrinsic rights for some of the most basic of human needs, such as in food and in shelter.    

It is truly very fortunate that I have been given the chance to offer my assistance and be given the chance to brighten up, even for a short time, people who for so long have been living an existence that is below par.  All the fatigue in preparing for this event had certainly been rewarded by the smiles and words of gratitude expressed by the people of the said community.  More so, I can say that I have been successful in not being judgmental to their dilemma, and not arrive at a conclusion as to who should be at fault for this troubling scenario.  Perhaps it was wisest that I intentionally negated the natural inclination to put blame on anybody, as this allowed me to truly enjoy the service I had rendered to the people who are in great need not of judgment but of understanding.  As a result, I now possess a lifes goal of giving back to the society whatever academic attainment I may incur to be able to reach my optimal professional competence not only for personal betterment but for the society as well.

Psychopharmacological Factor
Based on the community service that I had participated in, I find Pharmacology Principle number 2 suited for the cause.  The said principle states simply, Successful treatment is based on emphatic, hopeful, integrated and continuing relationships (Minkoff, 2005, p. 2).  The correlation is evident, particularly in attempting to find a lasting and permanent solution to this dilemma.

Firstly, the community service has successfully explained that certain human psychologicalsocietal problems will never be solved in a single, deliberate step.  For the treatment to succeed, it has to consist of several planned procedures each contributing to the final realization of a solution.  Similar to the societal problem of homelessness, the answer will not be resembling an exact science, where a single pill holds the promise of eternal homeostasis.  Rather, continuous beneficial, positive, and pro-active relationships between the homeless sector and several concerned groups will eventually be capable of eradicating the problem.

Thus, practitioners of Pharmacology should never underestimate the importance of building long and lasting relationships, especially if the subject is suffering from mental illness, be it psychiatric or substance abuse-caused.  Only by developing continuing relationships can caregivers of this type achieve the desired outcome on the treatment of their patients.                          

0 comments:

Post a Comment