Personal Statement Social Work MSW Program

I was brought up in an environment with hospital setting as both my parents were Rns. One particular event which shook me was at the age of six. And that was the death of a girl called Ashli who died of brain cancer. I tried to help her financially by selling cookies and lemonades at local stores but unfortunately she passed away even before I could collect it and utilize it for her treatment. This feeling to help people took stronger roots as I reached college. My childhood was affected by a heart defect known as Hypoplastic right ventricle pulmonary stenosis from which condition I survived after six operations. I also had hearing and speech problems and after years of speech therapy and ear surgeries, I am now perfectly healthy and athletic. Through sheer will power and determination I went from grade 5 to grade 11. I received two As , one in social behavioral science and the other in university studies in high school. This May 2010, I would be receiving my Bachelors in Psychology.

During my junior college days my uncle passed away due to colon cancer which made me curious about Oncology. This incident too left a indelible mark in my mind.

Later I decided to major in Psychology in CSU Chico, California for my Bachelors.
A few of my psychology professors particularly professor Dr. Michael Ennis inspired me in deciding what career I should take. I attended three of his classes on Biopsychology, neuropsychology and health psychology. I was also a part of his biopsychology research group and undergraduate projects such as Assessing Trekking poles through electromyography, heart rate and respiration, Relationship between Testosterone, self deception and attachment styles and The influence of psychological therapy in immunoregulation of Latent Epstein Barr virus and stress. In my senior year, I attended his health psychology class which influenced me greatly.

Since five years I have been working as a Direct support professional and CVI at the California vocations INC Arthur Schawlow center. I gained rich experience and provided full scale care and growth plan for adults with autism, violent behavior and O.C.D. Also I had two years of Direct support professional and nonviolent crisis intervention Training. I am also trained and licensed for first aid and CPR.

During my internship I volunteered to work as a crisis call operator and shelter care giver at the Catalyst domestic violence services in Chico CA. It was a 24 hour crisisreferral line which I attended to for the victims of domestic violence and anyone wanting information about it. At the womens shelter I volunteered to provide safety to victims of abuse and their children. Just being there for the women and children to listen to their stories was a rewarding experience. Here I completed 40 hours of training and 90 hours of volunteering.

I volunteered twice at the Animal socialization and shelter care center at Butte humane society in Chico CA. Animal care duties involved training and socializing dogs and cats, cleaning cages and providing assistance for cats and dogs recovering from illness. I also assisted in the adoption of pets. Here, I completed 96 hours of volunteering.

I have been a member of Psi-Chi, The National Psychology Honor Association for 3 years and was an event coordinator for 2 years at the California state university Chico. It  involved planning, organizing, creating volunteer opportunities,  raising funds by events  such as autism awareness association walk, memory walk for the Alzheimers disease and  the pumpkin carving event for child development lab at Chico state university.

My extra curricular interests from childhood include water skiing, knee boarding, wake boarding snow skiing, mountain biking and road biking. I recently started scuba diving and am a certified diver now. I love playing the clarinet and the piano and have been doing so for the past 14 years. In high school I had the honor of joining 80 young musicians of USA who played in seven countries of Europe. Music has played a significant role in my life and I intend to study cognitive neuropsychology, particularly how music affects the brain emotionally. I also had an opportunity to play at the CSU Chico symphony orchestra recently.

With this background I would like to receive my MSW and LCSW in clinical social work and then I would also like to work for a post- masters degree in pediatric oncologysocial work. I prefer working in a childrens hospital and provide the family the necessary social support.

I selected Barry University School of social work in Miami shores, Florida because this is one among the top 15 schools nationwide for campus diversity and is recognized internationally. Also Barry offers a part time at Miami-shores 60-credit MSW program in 6-7 semesters while allowing us to work outside the school. And moreover 90 percent of Barry MSW graduates find employment within two months of graduation. Most importantly what interested me are the internship opportunities in oncology, brain injury rehabilitation and emergency room services in the Baptist hospital. Also the supportive counseling and radiation treatment in the Mount Sinai hospital comprehensive cancer center for patients suits me perfectly for what I wish to do in the future.

Today, Cancer is a big social issue. Patients undergo untold trauma mentally and physically. In order to provide them necessary guidance, and help them overcome psychological trauma, social workers play an important role. Also patients who are mentally and physically disabled need to lead a life without any kind of physical and psychological abuse including fear, punishment or humiliation. In such situations a social worker plays the role of a catalyst and reduces their trauma.

Hence I can confidently say that I am capable of performing the tasks given to me diligently and with strong verbal and communication skills would be able to help patients by listening to them and overcoming their problems.

For my degree I look forward to financial aid and scholarships which Barry can offer from 7000 to 9000 per academic year in financial aid for full time students. I also prefer the 30 percent tuition discount offered to students employed in a humansocial service position. I also request you kindly to help me find a professor who would match me perfectly.

0 comments:

Post a Comment