Of all the places in the United States that Ben Franklin has had a hand in helping to create or begin, perhaps nowhere else was has influence greater than Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. He helped to create many firsts, such as a library, fire department, bifocals, lightening rod, and even a university. More specifically, he founded the University of Pennsylvania. Of all these sub communities that comprise of U Penn, I find the most interesting to be the Library Company of Philadelphia.

While I plan on spending much of my time in or around this place, it will be not only out of necessity, but for pleasure as well. A library is a wonderful place, with limitless resources, and always gives the opportunity to find new resources or research if necessary. With available resources and knowledge, I hope to contribute to the Library Company in any way I can. Perhaps I could use my time, dedicating it to finding new research or volunteering with events or exhibits hosted by the library. I also plan to help contribute to the well being of not only this library, but to the larger community of the entire U Penn campus and surrounding Philadelphia. Because I am much more fortunate than many of the others, specifically the young children, who reside in Philadelphia, they could benefit from me. Through the library, I could become involved in a number of different volunteer opportunities, including reading to young children, helping tutor them, or being a mentor. By helping to better the children, I will be helping to better the entire area as a whole. Not only will I be helping others, but I will certainly help myself in the process. Volunteering time to serve others less fortunate then I is one of the most rewarding and positive experiences possible. Also, like the talented and intelligent Benjamin Franklin, I plan to discover anything new and beneficial that I can, while pursuing my studies.

0 comments:

Post a Comment